Skip to main content

Genealogy Message Boards & Connections

The power of genealogy message boards is unbelievable.
What you might not know..Read below.
1) Messages posted to a message board stay on the server as long as that server is in existence. Case in point Ancestry.com. I started doing my own research back in 1999. Every message I ever posted is still right there for the world to see ten years later.
2) One of the most important things about using a message board is to have a current email address. What do I mean by this? I know with the way the internet has changed over the years people change internet providers frequently. Maybe you upgraded to high speed and gave up your old email address. This can be a big mistake. Let me explain why.....
You posted a message trying to find a connection to your elusive KLEIN ancestor. You didn't have much info at the time except for a name, date of birth and a place of birth that your grandmother KLEIN had written down in a journal about her favorite aunt. Sometimes that's all the info anyone can hope to have. It's not a lot but it is something you can work with. Mind you KLEIN is probably one of the hardest surnames to have to work with. I know this first hand.
What with the spelling variations and the number of immigrates to enter the US in the 1800's with this name.
BUT 3 years after you posted that message along comes a second cousin once removed and she has her great grandma Klein's family bible. This cousin is trolling the message boards on Ancestry or Rootsweb and she comes across your message. She starts to tremble a little as she reads your info. Finally, after a couple of years of research on Ancestry she has found what she believes is one of her great grandma's relatives.
Quickly she looks at the date of the message. She then clicks on your username and hits send email to user and sends a quickly typed message telling you of the family connection. Woo Hoo Yea!! She is doing the happy dance.
Guess what happens when she refreshes her email program? The email she has sent off with such high hopes comes bouncing back from your old email address. No account found for that username.
This is why it is so important to keep your active email account. If you must change your email account go back to those messages that you posted and reply to it and leave a new email address in the reply. Ancestry and Rootsweb shows you in your account profile messages you have posted and replied to. If you can't find that simply do a search on your old email address.
I have had the same email address for over ten years and everyone once in awhile I do go back to old messages I've posted and update my info.
Two weeks ago I made a major connection because of a message I replied to over a year ago. But at that time I did not have some critical information to make a connection. More to come in my next post.
LaFleur laFleur Loffler Braun Connections made through the Ancestry message board.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year

  Another year is upon us. What genealogy goals do you have for 2009? I'll share mine with you today. But first a little background. My second great grandfather Jacob FLANDERS was born in Prussia about 1835 and died in Manhattan, New York in 1899. His wife Pauline JACOBSEN was born July 1836 in Prussia and died 6 May 1922 in Queens, New York. They had four children. Three of them were born in England. My great grandmother Henrietta was born in Manhattan. In 1874 they immigrated from England to New York City on the ship Holland. I have many documents. I have death certificates on Jacob and Paulina. I have the passenger list from the ship. I also have many documents on their four children. Periodically I would go back to research them as all genealogists do when they come to a point in their research when there is a lull. I knew they were from Germany and I can't tell you how many times I tried to find info on the FLANDERS surname in Germany. Their name had been butchered

Knocking Down Brickwalls with AncestryDNA Testing

Knocking Down Brick-walls with AncestryDNA Testing It's been 5 years since I posted about my genealogy adventures. A lot has happened. The family has grown by leaps and bounds. We've added a couple of grand children to the family tree. The newest to arrive is our first grandson born on September 4th, 2014. The first born into the family who will carry on the Mobley surname one more generation. I've recent done the AncestryDNA test in hopes of breaking down a couple of my genealogy brick walls .  I'm a bit disappointed .to say the least. My closest connection with my AncestryDNA is a 5th cousin. There are a couple of matches but they don't have a clue how we are connected so I am sure I have been pushed to the back burning of their minds until maybe one day I may have some information that will help them. One of the first connections I contacted did help me get back one more generation on my Jewish line. But I can only prove that through our